13 June 2011

Video Reflection 2D


The Genius of Design

Episode 4 – Better Living Through Chemistry

It was very interesting watching this episode of Genius of Design to see the rise of plastic. I guess it is something that I have taken for granted that plastic was always around but as they say plastic doesn’t grow on trees. It had to be created by someone. As I am exposed to a countless amount of plastic products everyday I never really give much them much thought. Like Robin day’s Polyprop chair I must have sat on them hundreds of times in different venues but I never considered the history behind it or who designed it. I guess I never really saw it as a product that was designed but just something that came into existence when the big bang happened. Sometimes I think that some of the greatest products are not seen as designed but they are just seen as a staple part of our society. 

Just like the road sign format I never really gave any consideration to who made that a standard design. I always find it really interesting when I see the different design considerations that go into things like how from certain distances you don’t read the word but just recognise the overall shape of the word. It makes me realise how research and prototyping really does improve, refine and perfect a design.
Something that really did resonate with me was what someone said towards the end of the episode about how our society will leave behind plastics for historians. I think that is a bit sad about how our way of life is so dependent on plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment