13 June 2011

Project 2 Reflection


This studio project definitely did bring some new challenges when considering the whole product service system rather than just the product. Usually we just have to design a product that is a one package deal. I definitely found it more difficult to design a PSS than a product. It required a much deeper level of thinking as there was so much more involved. I think making this project a group project enabled us to create a much better solution for coffee compost than what would be achievable if I attempted this project on my own.

I think it is important for designers to consider the whole picture PSS included. Being mindful of a PSS is all a part of research and development. Even if the product doesn’t need its own new system it might be able to piggy back an already existing one.

I think what I liked most about designing a PSS is that it forced me to really visualise (through research and concept development) the product’s use from start to finish. Even though this is something we do all the time when designing in this project you really had to more so that you could apply it to a real life scenario to enable you to design a system that it could be used in. The worst thing about designing a PSS for this project was that you were required to create a new tangible product when sometimes the best solution was to use a simple interface or to use an already existing product and change it slightly. That wasn’t a problem our found with our project but something that a lot of people had with theirs.

The thing that I will take most from this assignment and incorporate into my next studio assignment is designing for the bigger picture. Not just considering my proposed design but the people and environment that interacts with it.

On a whole I was really happy with my group’s coffee composting system Ground for Ground. The way that we had designed it it could be easily adapted to suit most cafes. I think this PSS is something that cafe proprietors would want to have in their establishments as it promotes sustainability, is low cost and would attract a like crowd that fair trade coffee does. Most of all it brings societal change through people taking responsibility for the waste and channelling it into something other than landfill. 

I am really pleased with how well we worked together as a group. Everybody made a great and equal contribution to this project; we all focused on our strengths and pulled them together to create a really great PSS that we are all proud of. I am really glad we made such a great group! Go team!!

No comments:

Post a Comment